03 June 2010

Obituary--Flavia Conkey

This obituary I think is from the Hesperia newspaper of that time, and I think Mrs Robertson, my favorite obituary writer may have been moonlighting writing here as well as for the Fremont Times-Indicator. The tone just screams with her style of writing. See if you don't agree.

From 11 December1913, Hesperia newspaper:

Flavilla Conkey

Flavilla Dinsmore Peas was born in Wilton township, Franklin county, Maine, March 16, 1834. She was the daughter of Aaron and Sarah Lester Peas. She left Maine in her early days and came to Cleveland, Ohio where she was married to George W. Conkey and moved from there to Greenwood township, coming to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Lachlan MacCallum. Mr. and Mrs. Conkey were classed among the early pioneers because previous to his marriage Mr. Conkey had taken up land and operated a sawmill in that vicinity. In 1870 they moved to Montague where he was engaged as a filer in the Ferry & Dowling mills. In the spring of 1878 they moved from Montague to the Henry Becker farm in Dayton where they resided until 1885 when they purchased the farm known as the John Swain place. It was here that Mr. Conkey died 12 years ago.
Several years ago Mrs. Conkey disposed of the farm, moving to Hesperia where she has since resided, renting rooms of Mrs. Nellie Carlisle. Mrs. Conkey had no living relatives that anyone knows of, but the McCallum family all claimed her as their own. She was free and independent and came and went among us all as she pleased and "Aunt Flay," as we lovingly called her, gave all her girls many a lift, for she was the most capable woman of her years we ever knew.
When she was 76 years old, she went with Isabelle M Becker to Montana to visit Mrs. Lora Smith Edmunds, another of her girls, and went all through Yellowstone park, Later she went home with Mrs. Edmunds to Montana and came back alone.
We all loved to have her come to our homes and three weeks ago last Tuesday she went to the Becker home and visited until Sunday when Mrs. Jean Clark came after her taking her to the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. L. McCallum. On Thanksgiving day they all went to the Clark home for dinner in company with Mr and Mrs James James McCallum, of Hart. Mr and Mrs Ernest Noble and children, of Fremont made up the happy family party. Mrs. Conkey visited at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Clark until Sunday when she accompanied them to church, then came home with Mr. and Mrs. McCallum. On Sunday evening she retired in usual health and in excellent spirits. She arose next morning and lighted her lamp, when she must have been taken ill and lay back on the bed wher Mrs. McCallum found her in an unconscious condition from which she never rallied. Mrs. McCallum at once called her friends and a physician, who pronounced the disease paralysis and held out no hope from the first. She died December 5, at 9 a. m. All was done for her that loving hands could do. It seemed a strange coincidence that she should spend her last days in the home where she came as a bride when she first came to Michigan.
She loved us all and made life a little easier, a little more enjoyable and helped us to be kinder, truer and sweeter. Her life has been long and useful spent in doing for others and those who have been recipients of her kindly deeds live to testify of her noble christian life.
The funeral services were held in the Presbyterian church Sunday at 1:30 o'clock, Rev. Geo. VanWeingerden officiating. She was interred beside her husband in West cemetery. The beautiful casket was covered with roses, pink and hello chrysanthemums and a beautiful sheaf of wheat. This was the last mark of love and respect her friends could pay her.

I will pause a moment while those of you who are diabetics take another shot of insulin. Can you see why it has to be by Mrs Robertson? Super sweet and syrupy, and loaded with details. One of the reasons I love reading old obituaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.